Saturday, June 2, 2007

writing portfolio - career essay

Goal
by

Eugene J. Bock
Ms. Ronnie Johnson
Writing 1
17. May. 2007
40 scenes
















EXT. – AT A SOCCER FIELD – DAY
FAST

An excellent and exuberant but a little bit nerdy student, FREDRICK MAGOON, comes to the soccer field of Notre Dame high school in Manchester city in England to watch a soccer game.

Little freshman Fredrick sits on the seat for the audience with his nerdy glasses and y-shirts.

PATRICK PARK, an outstanding soccer player who is now a senior, impresses all the girls by his awesome soccer skills.

Patrick leads the team to a victory. Fredrick couldn’t close his mouth and look at others whenever Patrick had the ball. He imagines himself playing soccer like a cool athlete.

SERIES OF SHOTS:

A) His team makes a circle before a game, and everyone gets pumped up by cheering up.
B) Wearing a yellow armband, he shakes hands with the captain of the other team.
C) He dribbles all the way through the goal, and makes an awesome goal.
D) All the girls are so impressed, shouting and yelling.

But when he thinks of the reality…

SERIES OF SHOTS:

A) He wakes up at five for additional study.
B) He hands in all the homework with high qualityC) Frowning at the noisy boys who interrupt during class.D) Runs back to home right after school for the new assignments he got from school.
E) Not a girl is ever talking to him because of the image of a nerd.

He wants to escape from the image of a nerd. Then he soon decides…

FREDRICK (soliloquy)
Why don’t I try?
I could be as cool as Patrick if I practice hard. Let me give it a try!

He tightens his fist with determination.

Fredrick comes back at home with a totally different mind. He looks up on internet for the soccer equipments.


EXT. – AT A SOCCER FIELD – DAY
SLOW
Fredrick practices soccer after school, and many are surprised that he is exercising. Some tease him because he sucks, but he does not care.


INT. – AT FREDRICK’S HOME – NIGHT
SLOW
Finally he made into the varsity soccer team. He is so pleased to be in the same team with Patrick, and thanks God for the opportunity. He decides to give his best everyday at practice to impress the coach MR. GU. Mr. Gu has been the soccer coach of this school for more than 5 years, and his motto has never changed; practice makes the difference. Unfortunately his team never won a season yet. He knows that he is not going to be the starter right away, but he still has hope.


EXT. – AT A SOCCER FIELD – DAY
FAST
The coach over-trains the players, so all the players are all exhausted. But the coach shows no interests in the players’ condition. Even Patrick seems to feel the tiredness. But Fredrick never gives up.


EXT. – AT A CHANGING ROOM – DAY
SLOW
After the practice when everyone has used all their energy, the coach suddenly came into the changing room. Everyone stopped what they have been doing since the coach has never come into the changing room before. Thus it makes the players think he came here for a very important thing. Yes. The coach came to tell the starters for tomorrow’s game. Unfortunately, Fredrick was not selected as a starter, but he is not frustrated.


EXT. – AT A SOCCER FIELD – NIGHT
SLOW

Fredrick practices at the soccer field even after the tiring practice.

Patrick came out of the changing room and was about to leave for home, but finds a person practicing on the field. He wonders who it is, so he goes closer to the person. He finds out that it is Fredrick.

FREDRICK (soliloquy)
Ah, I can’t do anything. Pass, shooting, ball controlling… everything’s too hard for me. I need help from someone. But who…?

He sees Patrick coming out from the changing room and hesitates whether to ask for help or not.

FREDRICK (soliloquy)
Oh that’s Patrick! It’d be nice if I get help from my role model. Should I? Or Should I not? Well getting help will be obviously better just like tutoring math works well.

Fredrick waves his hands to draw attention.


FREDRICK
Pat, can you help me with controlling the ball a little bit?

PATRICK
Sure, wait a second.

Patrick puts his soccer shoes on again to show some examples.

PATRICK
So, what’s the problem?

FREDRICK
I… I can’t do anything. I can’t shoot hard, I can’t pass accurately, and I can’t even trap the ball safely to my side. What do I have to do?

PATRICK
Well, when did you start playing soccer?

FREDRICK
Um.. like a few months ago?

PATRICK
Only? You’re not bad then because you need a lot of time to get used to playing with the ball. But to improve, kick the ball against the wall? It will help you trap the ball, pass to yourself, and shoot hard. Also, when you pass, it is more accurate for you to pass with your inside.

FREDRICK
Thanks a lot.

Patrick demonstrated some examples, and Fredrick pays attention to every single detail he demonstrates. His eyes are only focused on the ball.

INT. – AT FREDRICK’S HOME – DAWN
SLOW
Fredrick wakes up at 5 o’ clock and heads to the playground near his house to practice what he learned from Patrick last night so as not to forget them. He does not hesitate to fall asleep again, and goes to brush his teeth. He leaves with passion. His mom is worried if he would be too tired to concentrate during classes, but she has faith in him.


EXT. – AT A SOCCER FIELD – DAWN
FAST
He does feel tired, but the hope that he might be able to play with him gives him vigor and energy. He practices juggling, passing to the wall, shooting, and trapping, which he learned yesterday. He comes back at home after one and a half hour of practice. He takes a shower, eats breakfast, and goes to school. He falls asleep during class that surprised the teachers.


INT. – AT KITCHEN OF FREDRICK’S HOME - DAY
SLOW

Fredrick just came back from the practice, and he goes to the kitchen for snack.

He opens the refrigerator, and realizes there is nothing to eat. He sighs, and asks mom if she could make him a toast, but her reaction seems weird. She looks like she is angry at him.

FREDRICK
Mom? What’s wrong? Did anything bad happen to you?

MOM
Yes, and the cause is you, Fredrick! Actually I would like to discuss with you about something seriously.

FREDRICK
Can we talk after I have my toast? I am so hungry because of practice.

MOM
That’s the problem, that’s the cause of everything!

FREDRICK
What? I’m sorry I don’t get what you mean.

MOM
Come to your room, and we will have a talk.

Fredrick moves to his room, thinking and thinking again what he did wrong. He has no clue that makes him feel like he is in a labyrinth.


INT – AT FREDRICK’S ROOM – DAY
MOM
Let me get straight to the point. What happened to your midterm grades? It’s been getting worse and never seems to recover.

FREDRICK
Um… that’s because IB classes are too hard for me. Sorry mom.

MOM
No, that’s not the excuse. It’s because you don’t concentrate during classes.

FREDRICK
Yes I do mom. I try my best at school.

MOM
Do not try to fool me my son ‘cause that makes me even angrier. Do you know what teachers said at Parent Teacher Conference? I went there today and I am so
shocked I couldn’t read a book.

FREDRICK
What did I do wrong?

MOM
Many teachers have agreed that your attitude has changed. You sleep during class, do not pay attention, look out the window, or do something distractive. Do you know why?

FREDRICK
Um… no I don’t.

Fredrick did not want to say it is because of soccer. He tries to pretend as if he really does not know anything.

MOM
Yes you do! It is all because of soccer. Your grades started to go down ever since you started playing soccer. So, quit it!

FREDRICK
Mom I can’t do that. It has become my dream. Please, I will work better. Please mom…

MOM
Well my answer has to be a no. I am sorry, but please go to the coach and tell him that you can not play anymore because of mom.

FREDRICK
That’s not gonna happen. I’m not quitting ever, although I will work harder. Mom can you please give me a last chance?


MOM
If teachers don’t say anything different from this time at next Parent Teacher Conference, you will have to enjoy the consequence.

FREDRICK
Thank you mom! I love you. Um… I have a question though.

MOM
What is it?

FREDRICK
Can you now toast me bread with peanut butter and strawberry jam on it? It’s my favorite. And I am even hungrier than ever.

MOM
Okay my son. Go study in your room, then I will get it to you.

FREDRICK
Thank you mom.

Fredrick leaves the kitchen, scampers to his room.


INT. – AT HOME – DAY
SLOW
Fredrick plays a video game at home with his friends during the weekend. Obviously it is a soccer game, and Fredrick mastered all the strategies and skills in the game. When his friends went back to home, he reads a book on a cozy sofa. He enjoys resting and determines to play soccer consistently hard.


INT. – AT THE CHANGING ROOM – DAY
SLOW
It is the day of the first game, and everyone is willing to start the season with a victory. All the players including
the bench members gather around at the changing room and encourage each other by shouting.


EXT. – AT THE BENCH SIDE – DAY
SLOW
Fredrick sits on the bench, and appreciates for being able to see the game closer than the audience, rather than complaining for not being a starter. His positive attitude remains till the end of the game where many other players got to play but not him.


EXT. – AT A SOCCER FIELD – DAY
FAST
Everyone is all encouraged because the first game ended with victory and many other bench members got to play. The positive atmosphere remains till the second game. Everyone motivates each other for another victory.


EXT. – AT A SOCCER FIELD – DAY
FAST
Because of the overwhelming superiority of the game, even Fredrick gets to play this time. So anxious, first he makes some stupid mistakes. After that, he realized this is a real game that if very important even though his team is winning by 5 points. He makes some good passes to other players that impressed the coach.


INT. – AT HOME – NIGHT
SLOW
He came back after the game, and thinks what he has done wrong and correct today. He reminds himself of the mistakes he has made, and says to himself he will not make the same mistakes during the third game if the opportunity comes.


EXT. – AT A SOCCER FIELD – DAY
FAST
Unfortunately the opportunity does not come to anyone of the bench members because the game was so tough and tight that the coach could not make any subs to test the ability of the bench warmers and compare it with the starters. The Eagles allowed the first goal too soon that all the members had to play hard until the last minute of the game to win.


INT. – AT THE CHANGING ROOM – DAY
SLOW

STARTERS
Oh my word, it was such a hard game. I think I ran the most today in my whole entire life.

The guy I had been marking was so big and fast. I can’t even feel anything on my legs.

My knee hurts so badly!!

Why?

‘Cause I bumped with someone. I don’t even remember who it was because I got so surprised.

I’m so tired that I can hardly walk back home.

So am I. I am so exhausted, literally.

Hey, do you remember when we almost let them make the goal in? I barely stopped it.

The ball looked like it went in from the bench side.

Yeah! We could surely tell that the game was tough.

Dude, my toe is bleeding, and I did not even know until now. I got to go to the nurse office now.

Well good luck.

PATRICK
It was a tough game. Good job though guys.

Patrick is taciturn. It seems like he does not even have strength to speak.

Patrick leaves, and other players begin to leave also. The atmosphere is not so good since they barely won the game.


INT. – AT MR. GU’S OFFICE – DAY
SLOW
This time Mr. Gu knows that it would have been hard for kids to play a 90 minute of a soccer game, and realizes some starters are not as good as they were after the game. He thinks of changing the starting members, and the first priority, Fredrick, comes up to his mind. He has been impressed by his efforts. Mr. Gu draws a soccer field and the members on a sheet of paper, and check if the change is going to work. Mr. Gu decides to take a risk to win the fourth game.


EXT. – AT A SOCCER FIELD – DAY
SLOW

While all players were busy getting changed and wearing their soccer shoes, Mr. Gu suddenly came into the changing room.


Everyone looks at him at surprise.

Sudden silence dominates the changing room. Mr. Gu speaks up, breaking the silence.

MR. GU
Why do you think I am here guys?

Everyone looks at each other, wondering.

Um... To cheer up?

MR. GU
Nope. Any other guesses?

Silence. Mr. Gu speaks up to tell them the answer.

MR. GU
No one? It is okay though. I came into this room in order to tell you guys the starting members of today.

You do that at the field 30 minutes before the game starts usually though. Why is it different today?

MR. GU
Because I made a difference! Fredrick, you are starting off today.

FREDRICK
What?!

Everyone turns their head toward Fredrick and gazes at him at surprise.

Fredrick himself is also totally surprised that he could not believe what he just heard.

MR. GU
And… You’re out Greg. I was concerned about your injury, and I want you to play with your full condition on the field every time. So just watch this game curing your knee.

GREG
Okay…

Greg looks down at the ground after a deep sigh.

MR. GU
I’m done with what I am to say. Lets have fun today guys.

Mr. Gu leaves the room, and the room is filled with awkward mood.

Fredrick, however, is fully prepared, and heads out to the field to get warmed up.


EXT. – AT A SOCCER FIELD – DAY
FAST
The Eagles barely won the fourth game by Fredrick’s constant effort to make good passes and Patrick’s strong desire to score.


EXT. – AT A SOCCER FIELD – DAY
SLOW
After the game ended, everyone cheers up and encourages each other for putting their best effort at the field.


EXT. – AT A PLAYGROUND – DAWN
FAST
Fredrick diligently practices at the playground even one day after the tough game.


EXT. – AT A PLAYGROUND – DAWN
SLOW

Fredrick diligently moves himself to the playground to practice.

After wearing his soccer shoes, he starts practicing his passes and shots, forgetting to do warm-ups.

Fredrick suddenly falls down while practicing his shots.

Fredrick covers his right knee with his hands. He frowns and is surprised at the pain.

FREDRICK
Oh my gosh! It hurts so badly. Maybe I got injured. Oh God, why now? I’ve got a game after a few days!

He tries to bend his knee, and he feels pain whenever he is doing so.

FREDRICK
Gosh it seems pretty serious. What should I do?

Still covering his knee, he stays on the ground to think what he should do with this situation.

The pain gradually subsided as time passes.

He gets up, and carefully walks back into home.

MOM
Why are you walking like that my son? Did you get injured or something?

FREDRICK
I don’t know mom. I was just practicing my shots, and I felt a bitter pain on my knee.

MOM
Maybe we should go to the hospital some time during this week.

FREDRICK
That’s a good idea mom. Let me take a shower now. Is the breakfast ready?

MOM
Of course. Be quick my son.

FREDRICK
Okay mom.

Fredrick goes into the restroom and takes a shower. He eats breakfast after that, and then heads to the school.


INT. – AT HOME – DAWN
SLOW
He comes back at home, and decides to give up on the morning practices.


INT. – AT SCHOOL – DAY
SLOW
He goes to the nurse’s office to wrap his knee up, and decides not to tell about this issue to the coach since there are only two games till the end of the season.


EXT. – AT A SOCCER FIELD – DAY
FAST
He goes to the field as a starter, and he checks his knee if it is fine. He warms up with other players. He feels much less pain on his knee which comforted him.


EXT. – AT A SOCCER FIELD – DAY
FAST
He plays tough against the other team, and he starts to feel his pain on his knee during game, but does not tell the coach which worsened his injury.


INT. – AT A HOSPITAL – AFTERNOON
FAST
He visits an orthopedics for a check-up right after the game


INT. – AT A HOSPITAL – AFTERNOON
SLOW

Fredrick enters into the room with anxiety. He cautiously speaks up.

FREDRICK
Hi.

DOCTOR
Hi. How can I help you?

FREDRICK
I want to know what happened to my knee and how serious it is.

DOCTOR
Let me show you what happened to your knee through the result of X-Ray inspection.
As you can see, none of your bones in your legs are broken.

FREDRICK
Then why does my knee hurt so much every time I try to bend it?

DOCTOR
Right. It is because you pulled your ligament in your knee. It seems like your ligament may have even been torn.

FREDRICK
That is definitely frustrating. Does that mean I might have to quit playing soccer?

DOCTOR
For 6 months at least, yeah.

FREDRICK
SIX months? Our season is going to end in less than two weeks.

DOCTOR
That is sad to hear. But, for your safety, you shouldn’t use any of your ligaments in your knee from now on for protection and recovery.

FREDRICK
No I can’t do that. No. Is there any ways I can play for two weeks and no get hurt?

DOCTOR
Definitely not, if you hurt your knee more than this, I can not assure you what‘s going to happen to your knee in the nearly future.

FREDRICK
I will have to think about it. Thank you for your advice.

DOCTOR
You should take the crutches over there when you leave. Thank you.

FREDRICK
Thank you. Bye.

Fredrick leaves the room with a deep sigh. He looks gloomily at the ground. He trudges back to home.


INT. – AT HOME – NIGHT
SLOW
His anxiety remains after he gets back to home. His final decision is to play the last game with everything he has left even though his knee will seriously get hurt.


INT. – AT A CLASSROOM – DAY
SLOW
During class he sees the bus of the Thacher School coming inside the parking area. He feels both anxiety and excitement.


INT. – AT A CHANGING ROOM – DAY
FAST
He runs into the changing room right after his class was dismissed to get ready for the game. He does not care about his pain anymore. Patrick prays to God for power, and everyone seems to be ready to change the history of the school today.


EXT. – AT A SOCCER FIELD – DAY
FAST
Everyone fights very hard after the game started. The chance of the Eagles to win this game does not seem to be slim.


EXT. – AT A SOCCER FIELD – DAY
SLOW
While Fredrick had a very good chance to score, a defender tackled him badly that made him get subbed out. The problem is that Fredrick’s injury got worse by this unexpected attack.


EXT. – AT A SOCCER FIELD – DAY
FAST
After putting muscle rub on his knee, Fredrick gets in again to a game for the victory. Everyone fought hard, but no one scored, which led to a sudden death.


EXT. – AT THE BENCH SIDE – DAY
SLOW
Everyone is tired and hydrating themselves, but no one is ever willing to give up the chance they got right now. They cheer each other up for the triumph.


EXT. – AT A SOCCER FIELD – DAY
FAST
By Fredrick’s good pass and Patrick’s fantastic goal, the game ends with happiness to the Eagles. They have changed the history!


INT. – AT A HOSPITAL – NIGHT
SLOW

He feels guilty to go into the room again for the same reason. At the same time, he is anxious if the injury got even worse. He gently opens the door after a deep sigh.

FREDRICK
Hi.

DOCTOR
Hi. Are you here for the same reason as last time?

In a very low voice, Fredrick replies.

FREDRICK
Um… yes. Sorry. I played soccer after your warning,
and I think it hurts a little bit more than it usually does.

DOCTOR
I am not very pleased to hear that.

FREDRICK
I am so sorry. I couldn’t give up playing soccer.

DOCTOR
Okay… But how did you endure the pain during the games?

FREDRICK
I put muscle rub on my knee before the games.

DOCTOR
That couldn’t have been enough. It is incredible that you went through all the pain during games, but it is not always a good thing. I guess you need another check-up. Can I see your knee again?

FREDRICK
Sure.

DOCTOR
If I bend your knee this much, does it hurt?

FREDRICK
(frowning)
Ouch! I can’t bend anymore. It even hurts when I try to leave my legs straight.

DOCTOR
Well… we will have to go through a more specific examination, but it seems to me like it is difficult to
recover your ligament. I might have to cut it out.

FREDRICK
What? Is it that serious?

DOCTOR
I told you it will become worse.

FREDRICK
But…

DOCTOR
We can talk about this after the examination. Follow me.

FREDRICK
Okay..

Fredrick follows him. His heart beats fast.

They go through the examination and the doctor tells him he can not play soccer anymore for the rest of his life.

DOCTOR
Well I am sorry to tell you this sad truth, but you can not play any sports in the future due to the weak knee.

FREDRICK
For the rest of my life…?

DOCTOR
Yes sorry. Bye.

FREDRICK
Bye.

Tears almost roll over his cheek. He makes a fake smile on his face as if nothing happened. He heads back to home without thinking anything.

At home, he comforts himself as finishing up the season well although he earned the permanent injury.

Thinking of the celebration that will be held tomorrow, Fredrick falls asleep with joy.


EXT. – AT THE PODIUM – DAY
SLOW

Students are dismissed, but many students stay on campus to watch the celebration and the awards of the soccer season.

People busily start to sit on the chairs around the podium few minutes before the celebration begins.

All the soccer players of the season enter with the trophy on Patrick’s hands.

Coach Mr. Gu shakes hands with the president of the school.
The audience sits down, and the celebration begins.

The boring and expected awards are given to the selected players.

THE PRESIDENT OF THE SCHOOL
Next, the most improved player from the 2006-2007 seasons is, Fredrick Magoon. Give him a hand please.

Surprised, everyone scrutinizes at Fredrick, and he does not know what to do. But soon students celebrate his improvement by the applause.

With a springy step, Fredrick went up to the podium. Fredrick shakes hands with the president. He has such a bright smile on his face.

THE PRESIDENT OF THE SCHOOL
And… here is the last one. This award is given to the best player who has great leadership throughout the game. The MVP, the most valuable player, from the 2006-2007 seasons of the Eagles, is – Patrick Park! Give him a hand please.

As if everyone was waiting for, they all applauded. With the trophy, Patrick confidently walks into the podium and gives a short speech how it was like to be in the soccer team and how it feels to win a season.

Even the friends who teased him before sincerely celebrated his improvement.

Fredrick and Patrick hug each other, and everyone applauds. Cut to black

Credit rolls.

No comments: